Mom, I Don't Wear Necklaces

I've often asked my son if he would like me to make him a piece of jewellery. His answer has always been no.. I don't wear jewellery. But, I say, personal adornment is important… you have favourite jeans that look the right way, you spent a lot of time and money picking out the right looking running shoes. Personal adornment is very important. He told me the only way he is interested in jewellery per se, is that some jewellery are keepsakes of certain people.
I thought this was a little off the topic of personal adornment, but when I sat down and thought about it; I realized he had a point. You don't need to wear a piece of jewellery for it to have significance to you.
I have a Coro duette pin that was my mothers, she loved it and a jeweller damaged it beyond repair when trying to fix the clasp. I remember my mother's grief at the state of the pin when she picked it up from the shop, but she wouldn't get rid of it. It had a special meaning for her. That meaning and memories have been lost with her passing and before with the Alzheimer's but I still have that pin unwearable as it is, tucked away. Maybe I'll pass it to a grandchild or one of my sons, with the message it was very important to Grandma for some reason, just like you were to her and are to me.

Comments

Popular Posts