Cleaning Silver Jewellery

Loretone Tumber & Wenol Polish



I’ve picked up a few tip and tricks on how to clean sterling silver. If anyone else out there has a great one that I didn’t mention, please feel to email me and I’ll add it to the list.

My favourite method, my handy dandy Loretone tumbler.  There is nothing like a drum of steel shot and cleaning compound to do a gorgeous job of polishing all the nooks and crannies.
Wenol Red Polish absolutely best polish on the market in my opinion.  It is not easy to find but worth the search and the money.

Toothpaste - I used this method in a pinch when I just wanted an extra bit of shine and I didn’t have my silver polish handy.  The pendant was minty fresh and looked better.

Aluminum & Soda - I’ve tried the aluminum and baking soda method, but have heard that it takes a layer of silver off as well as the tarnish.  I wouldn’t recommend it but here’s the method, if you’re really desperate. Place some tinfoil in a bowl then lay your sterling silver inside.  Add very hot water and a good few tablespoons of baking soda, stir the soda to dissolve in the hot water. Watch your silver carefully, and only leave it in long enough to remove the lighter tarnish.  Rinse and dry your silver.

Ultrasonic cleaners - good only if you do not have fragile or porous stones in the jewellery. They are safe with diamonds and other hard stones.  Otherwise, in my opinion,  stay away from them. 

Avoiding tarnish - You can also protect the all hard work spent polishing your silver by placing a tarnish inhibiting sheet with your silver.  Place the sheet and the polished jewellery piece in a zip-lock or other sealable plastic bag.  This will slow down the tarnishing process.  Remember though never store your jewellery damp or soiled.

The beauty of silver jewellery is the tarnish deep in the crevices,  it adds dimension and a depth to the piece and gives a heirloom quality to the silver.  I’ve always had the best luck with a polishing cloth and good quality polish or a tumbler.

Comments

Popular Posts